Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Can Long Distance Relationships Go The Distance? | Yuppee ...

Some couples feel obliged to split up after their geographically challenged relationships feel the strain of long journeys, lonely periods or growing trust issues.?But why should distance make a difference? Surely, if you are truly committed and interested, then no journey would be too long-winded and the effort would be totally worth it.

To investigate how long distance relationships find the staying power to function effectively, I spoke to Tom Harris, a 21-year old lifeguard who is in a long-term relationship with student Katie Wainwright, 20. After going out for 16 months, they have tackled the issues of long distance, so it?s time to uncover the secret to their success.

?

Can you tell me about how the two of you first met?

?Well, it is a pretty interesting story. It was in my local nightclub back in August 2011. I actually kissed her friend, but afterwards I got talking to Katie and I realised I found her really attractive. I was torn between two girls, but then Katie asked me out during a karaoke night so we started seeing each other.?

Where do you both live and how far is the distance between the two of you?

?We are both from Birmingham originally ? Katie lives in Shirley and I live in Solihull, but we are far apart whilst at university. I go to Coventry and she studies at Aberystwyth, which is obviously quite a distance when living in accommodation there. It takes me three and a half hours by train or car to visit her over in Wales.?

How often do you see each other?

?We try our best to see each other every three weeks (during semesters). When we go home for Christmas and summer then of course it is a lot more regular because we can more easily meet up.?

What are the difficulties in being so far apart?

?When you just want to talk to your girlfriend but you can?t. We have to go for long periods of time without seeing each other, and when we do finally meet it?s only for a couple of days. It?s hard because you end up spending more time apart then you do together.?

Can you think of any plus points of enduring a long distance relationship?

?I suppose an advantage is that Katie doesn?t go to my university ? this is good because it means I can more comfortably have a laugh with my squash mates. Basically, I can mess around with the lads without having a girlfriend there to hear any crude comments and the banter or whatever.?

And what would you say is the biggest disadvantage?

?It just isn?t ideal or very convenient because you can?t see each other whenever you want. Also, my squash mates all have girlfriends so when we go out clubbing they always go home early when all I want to do is stay out and have some fish bowls and a bit of a boogie!?

How do you cope being in a long distance relationship?

?Well, we are in our second year experiencing a long-distance relationship whilst at university so I guess we have just got used to it. There are plenty of ways to keep in touch; we regularly text, call and Skype so we always communicate frequently.?

Why do you think your relationship has lasted so long?

?To put it simply, we both like each other enough to make it work. It?s just about being willing and putting in the effort ? because Katie and I are committed, we have been strong enough to make it last.?

How do you deal with temptations whilst out and about without your girlfriend?

?I don?t get tempted by other girls. I don?t feel the need to cheat because I have never liked those who do and have always judged them badly. I have never understood the reason to be unfaithful. Also, because me and most of my friends all have girlfriends we never go out on the pull anyway, so it wouldn?t be an issue.?

Do you trust your girlfriend when you are so far away from each other?

?Yes. What is a relationship with no trust? I have to believe in her because it?s not like I?m there to keep an eye on things.?

What do you think of the phrase ?absence makes the heart grow fonder??

?I do agree with this, although it is a clich?. I guess it?s because when you aren?t with someone for very long then obviously you end up missing them.?

What advice would you give to people getting into long distance relationships?

?The most important thing is knowing that you have to put in the effort. If you aren?t prepared to fully commit to the long distance relationship then don?t bother.?

? 2013, www.yuppee.com. All rights reserved.

40 Can Long Distance Relationships Go The Distance?

Hi, I?m Hannah Montgomery, a media student at Birmingham City University. My ultimate goal is to become an established journalist, preferably working for a magazine. I love writing, interviewing and blogging, and ever since I was a young girl I have always been quite the bookworm! I strongly believe in the quote: ?The surest way not to fail is to determine to succeed? (Richard Brinsley Sheridan). Twitter: @Han_Montgomery

40 Can Long Distance Relationships Go The Distance?

?

Source: http://www.yuppee.com/2013/01/08/can-long-distance-relationships-go-the-distance/

chicago cubs split pea soup recipe the client list yahoo.com/mail baylor april 9 albatross

No comments:

Post a Comment